Remember - most of these images are merely thumbnails...don't forget to CLICK on 'em to see things the way they really are!

Translate

Sunday, March 9, 2014

COMIC BOOK PRESERVATION - RESTORING COMICS FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT!



Here at APOCOLYTE'S WORLD OF COMICS, I appreciate all of the wonderful art and artists that have created the myriad of stories and comic books that we can all enjoy! These comics are significant works of art that demand our respect. Comic bloggers like myself serve only as portals or doorways that reveal the creative work that others have made...we are like windows that open so that you, the viewer, can look in and see the beautiful gifts from the great comic book artists and writers, the classic comic book publishers and producers that we are able to highlight for your enjoyment, to point to those often tremendous works that you may otherwise never have the opportunity to experience.

I believe that these wonderful works, for a variety of differing reasons, deserve to be remembered and appreciated, to be savored and exalted. Thankfully, there are many lovers of the classic comic book that abound on the phenomenon we know as the internet, and I am grateful for everyone else who takes the time and energy to post to their own comics blogs. Personally, I take this responsibility very seriously, and while sometimes no great effort is required to present these posts, more often than not the comic book scanned is in poor condition, or the scans are less than desirable, and for whatever reason, the comic book pages I want to present are not in a state worthy of commemoration here. That is when I take the greater effort of my time and talent (however meager) to restore and repair, to the best of my ability, the comic book pages I present for you here at APOCOLYTE'S WORLD OF COMICS.

I realize that there are some comic book purists who desire to see the works in their present state of being, such as a 60 - year old comic in a state of faded and yellowed deterioration. That's fine, and there are certain websites where you can find public domain scans in such a state, and that is a wonderful thing. There is the other side of the coin, the collectors like myself who believe that the stories deserve to be presented in as close to mint condition as possible, as if the comic were printed and produced today, in order to honor the artists and creators, to present them as they deserve to be remembered. These comics of yesterday need to be preserved, to be honored. Short of acquiring the original artwork and reprinting these comics, the next best thing I can do is take the time and effort to digitally restore these wonderful stories, whenever it is necessary and/or applicable. That is how I feel, and I take this responsibility very seriously. I haven't pointed to this fact before, but it is mentioned now in the hope that you, the viewer, will appreciate this effort. I know I am not the only blogger who cares so deeply, but I do take effort to present these comics in an experience designed to maximize your viewing pleasure, often adding a bit of extra graphic presentation. The extra time spent restoring certain comics for web presentation is one of the reasons for my occasional delays in posts, though after my recent long absence I have now returned and hopefully reached a point of regularity. So, if you enjoy seeing these great comics posted in the best possible condition, if you agree that these classics ought to be preserved and honored, I hope you will continue to stop by and enjoy.  We can admire these amazing comic artists and creators together!

No comments:

Post a Comment